Friday, April 8, 2011

How To Keep Your Cool When Arguing With an Insurance Company

Due to my youngest daughters 15q24 micro-deletion chromosome disorder, my wife and I get to talk and "discuss" medical procedures and test results with the insurance company more frequently than most parents.  Talking with insurance representatives is like talking with terrorists or water moccasins,....there's no negotiating with them.  It's frustrating and quite frankly impossible.

Insurance Rep:  We have denied the claim because micro array genetic testing is an unproven diagnostic tool for your child's condition.

Us:  Really?

Insurance Rep:  Her medical records didn't indicate a genetic disorder prior to this test.

Us:  I know, that's why they were performing the test, the micro array test is what enabled the doctors to diagnose her.

 Insurance Rep:  This test is only covered if the individual has a genetic disorder, your child's records do not show she had any genetic issues prior to this test.

Us:  Yes m'am, I understand that, ....that's why.....

Insurance Rep:  SO you admit that?

Us:  Admit what?  What are you talking about?

Insurance Rep:  You did not call for pre approval.

Us:  If we would have called for pre approval would the test have been covered?

Insurance Rep:   No it would not have, because micro array genetic testing is an unproven diagnostic tool for your child's condition.

Us:  Then,...wait, all you are doing is repeating what we started our conversation with.

Insurance Rep:  Her medical records didn't indicate a genetic disorder prior to this test.

Us:  I know, that's why they were performing ..... you're not human are you m'am.

Insurance Rep:  This test is only covered if the individual has a genetic disorder, your child's records do not show she had any genetic issues prior to this test.

Us:  I think you hate your job and every morning when you wake up you can't decide between going to work or stepping in front of a train.

Insurance Rep:  SO you admit that?

Us:  You're reading from a script aren't you?

Insurance Rep:  (In a whisper)  Yes....help me please.  They stolen my soul.  Please help me, get me out of here,...please.

Us:  Just punch the "Approved" button and I'll send for help.

Insurance Rep:   (In a whisper)  I can't do that, he's watching.

Us:  Who's watching?

Insurance Rep:  (In a whisper)  Him, the Mr. Mister Man.  He owns my soul and he watches me through the my eyes.

Us:  M'am you're not making any sense.

Insurance Rep:  We have denied the claim because micro array genetic testing is an unproven diagnostic tool for your child's condition.


And so goes the ever going struggle between good sensible people and doctors and insurance companies.






















 



   

No comments: